A channel lined with stone slabs was found in a trench dug in Albert Park in 1917. The channel once took spring water to the nearby Conduit House. Some of the slabs were elaboarately carved pieces from a 15th century building. They probably came from Abingdon Abbey, possibly even from the abbey church which was demolished after 1538
Published Reference: A.E. Preston, 'The Carswell (or Castlewell), Ock Street, Abingdon', Berkshire Archaeological Journal 45 (1941), 37-44).