When the Saxton Road estate was being built in 1934, one of the largest Anglo-Saxon cemeteries in Oxfordshire was found and excavated.
It had 119 burials and 82 cremations. Weapons, tools, jewellery and urns were found with some of the dead. It was used by settlers who came northern Europe to Britain after the end of Roman rule. A Bronze Age barrow was also found.
Published Reference: E.T. Leeds and D.B. Harden (!936), The Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at Abingdon, Berkshire